Immunology Summer Student Research Program (ISSRP)
How can I participate in the ISSRP?
- Undergraduate students are responsible for contacting department faculty members and arranging a placement for the spring/summer. Once a placement is secured, students are enrolled in the ISSRP, pending eligibility requirements below.
- Once you have secured a supervisor, please complete the enrolment form.
How long is the ISSRP and are there any deliverables?
- The summer research program runs from May - July 2022 (12-weeks).
- At the end of July, a seminar day will be held where ISSRP participants share their work with their peers and departmental colleagues.
How will the pandemic affect this year's ISSRP?
- While we are optimistic that we can continue with the ISSRP in the spring/summer of 2022, there continues to be much uncertainty at this time. It's possible that the program might need to be cancelled or the timelines need to be adjusted.
- Students should note that COVID-19 workplace restrictions on lab occupancy may impact the availability of summer 2022 research positions and may vary between the research institutions in which our Departmental faculty have their labs.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Students must have successfully completed the Winter 2022 term in a full-time undergraduate program, at a Canadian University.
- Students must be 3rd year undergraduate student or earlier (if you are a 4th year student - you must be attending a professional undergraduate or a graduate program in the fall)
Is there a stipend?
- Yes, the stipend for the 12-week period is $5000.
Is there a deadline to enrol in the ISSRP?
- There is no real fixed deadline to securing an ISSRP supervisor. The unofficial deadline for this is towards the end of April/first week of May as this is when placements start, and paperwork needs to be filed. For Research Institutes at the affiliated hospitals, most of the paperwork needs to be filed about a month prior to starting, so securing a supervisor at those locations should be done by early-to-mid April.
Are there any awards available?
- Yes, a limited number of University of Toronto Undergraduate Research Opportunity (UROP) scholarships, valued at $2500, are available. We encourage all students in the ISSRP program to apply.
What is the procedure to apply for the UROP awards?
- Those who wish to be considered for a scholarship must first secure a supervisor, and then upload a single PDF by 9am April 15, 2022 containing:
- a copy of your transcript (an unofficial printout/screenshot is fine)
- a 375-word (max) paragraph of intent on why you are participating in the ISSRP and what you hope to gain from your time in the lab
- a very brief statement on the aims of your summer project
For any additional questions, please email email@example.com.