- I Tattoli, SA Killackey, EG Foerster, R Molinaro, C Maisonneuve, MA Rahman, S Winer, DA Winer, CJ Streutker, DJ Philpott and SE Girardin (2016) NLRX1 acts as an epithelial-intrinsic tumour suppressor through the modulation of TNF-mediated proliferation Cell Reports 14(11):2576-86
- I Tattoli, MT Sorbara, C Yang, SA Tooze, DJ Philpott and SE Girardin (2013) Listeria phospholipases subvert host autophagic defenses by stalling pre-autophagosomal structures EMBO J 32(23):3066-78
- MT Sorbara, M Ramjeet, LH Travassos, LK Elison, NL Jones, SE Girardin* and DJ Philpott* (2013) An autophagy-independent role of ATG16L1 in negatively regulating Nod-driven inflammation Immunity 39(5):858-73 (* contributed equally)
- I Tattoli, M Sorbara, D Vuckovic, A Ling, F Soares, LAM Carneiro, C Yang, A Emili, DJ Philpott and SE Girardin (2012) Amino acid starvation induced by invasive bacterial pathogens triggers an innate host defense program Cell Host Microbe 11(6):563-75
- K Geddes, SJ Rubino, JG Magalhaes, C Streutker, L Le Bourhis, JH Cho, S Robertson, CJ Kim, R Kaul, DJ Philpott* and SE Girardin* (2011) Identification of an innate Th17 response to intestinal bacterial pathogens Nature Med 17(7):837-44 (* contributed equally)
- LH Travassos, LA Carneiro, M Ramjeet, S Hussey, Y-G Kim, L Yuan, F Soares, JG Magalhães, L Le Bourhis, IG Boneca, A Allaoui, NL Jones, G Nuñez, SE Girardin, and DJ Philpott (2010) Nod1 and Nod2 direct autophagy by recruiting ATG16L1 to the plasma membrane at the site of bacterial entry Nat Immunol 11(1):55-62
- LAM Carneiro, LH Travassos, F Soares, I Tattoli, JG Magalhaes, MT Bozza, MC Plotkowski, PJ Sansonetti, JD Molkentin, DJ Philpott and SE Girardin (2009) Essential role of Bnip3 and Cyclophilin D in Shigella-induced mitochondrial dysfunction Cell Host Microbe 5(2):123-36
- I Tattoli, LA Carneiro, M Jéhanno, JG Magalhaes, Y Shu, DJ Philpott, D Arnoult and SE Girardin (2008) NLRX1 is a mitochondrial NOD-like receptor that amplifies NF-kB and JNK pathways by inducing reactive oxygen species production EMBO Rep 9(3): 293-300
- IG Boneca, O Dussurget, D Cabanes, MA Nahori, S Sousa, M Lecuit, E Psylinakis, V Bouriotis, JP Hugot, A Coyle, J Bertin, A Namane, JC Rousselle, N Cayet, MC Prevost, V Balloy, M Chignard, DJ Philpott, P Cossart and SE Girardin (2007) A role for peptidoglycan N-deacetylation in Listeria escape from host innate immune response Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104(3): 997-1002
- SE Girardin, IG Boneca, LA Carneiro, A Antignac, M Jehanno, J Viala, U Zaehringer, M Kehr-Taha, A Labigne, PJ Sansonetti and DJ Philpott (2003) Nod1 detects a unique muropeptide from Gram-negative bacterial peptidoglycan Science 300(5625), 1584-7
- SE Girardin, IG Boneca, J Viala, A Labigne, DJ Philpott and PJ Sansonetti (2003) Nod2 is a general sensor of peptidoglycan through muramyldipeptide (MDP) detection J Biol Chem 278(11), 8869-72
The research activities in the Girardin lab relate to innate immunity, microbial pathogenesis, colorectal cancer, cell death (including Wallerian degeneration in neurons), metabolic stress and diabetes. In addition to colorectal cancer and diabetes, our research has relevance to several human diseases, including Crohn’s disease (a type of inflammatory bowel disease), multiple sclerosis and neurodegenerative disorders with a proteotoxicity component (such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS). Our research combines cellular and in vivo murine models. We also use primary cultures of intestinal organoids (of human or murine origin), derived from intestinal stem cells, for projects relating to colorectal cancer and Crohn’s disease.
We are currently funded by grants from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Crohn’s and Colitis Canada (CCC), the Banting & Best Diabetes Centre and the Canada Research Chair (CRC) program; recent support also included grants from the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institutes (CCSRI) and the Burrows Wellcome Fund.